In the ever more digitally transforming world where users have begun to interact with each other and the businesses on a customized integrated dynamic platform, improving user experiences has become pivotal in adding business value. The emphasis here is on Usability, Performance, Capacity, Reliability, Availability and Security of the applications. Quantifying these qualitative factors will lead to defining, improving and managing user experiences. Though each is an extensive study within itself, I would like to prod my understanding with a few fundamental questions. Please apply them to the application environment you are working on and feel free to share your insights.
- Has the psychology of the users been captured well enough to suitably build the mockups, prototypes and wireframes inorder to get buy-in?
- To what extent have the human factors been considered?
- How broadly was the heuristic evaluation and feasibility study done?
- What is the ease of use and integration with the other applications?
- Does the interface appeal to the users and reflect their needs?
- How is your application behaving in terms of speed?
- Is your application exceeding the budgeted service level agreements?
- What are the industry performance standards for these transactions?
- What are your management’s acceptable thresholds towards latencies?
- What are your sizing parameters?
- What factors constitute the sizing parameters?
- How will you compute the values for each of these parameters?
- Are the systems capable of handling unexpected variations in workloads?
- How much variation can the existing systems gracefully handle?
- What is your projection for future trends?
- What is the rate of pass and fail of your transactions (include transactions, sub transactions across all the systems and sub systems)?
- Do the total count of all the transactions within a user’s single transaction match with the transaction delivery process defined for that particular transaction?
- What factors constitute reliability?
- What exactly qualifies a transaction as successful?
- What percentage of the time is application available?
- What are the industry standards for downtime?
- What are your contingency plans for downtime?
- Why is security important?
- Are you conforming to the security standards?
- What is the cost of non-conformance?
User satisfaction is the Key. I am sure these questions forced you to think about your stakeholders satisfaction?